Fort Pembroke was built between 1875 and 1878 to safeguard the seaward approach towards the Grand Harbour situated approximately 6 km to the east, as well as to defend the right flank of the Victoria lines. Between 1897 and 1899, Pembroke Battery was built nearby to serve the same purposes but housing newer guns with a longer range, protected by reinforced concrete emplacements. In the 1800’s fort Pembroke was a complete military base with a hospital, a cemetery, a school, parade grounds, training grounds and the shooting ranges. Between 1979 and 1984 Pembroke remained neglected. On 4 July 1983, the Maltese Parliament approved a motion to commence issuing plots of land for sale/lease for the purpose of building residential houses. The first residents settled in 1986. In 1993, Pembroke was separated from St. Julian’s and formally became a new town. Today the Pembroke ranges belong to the Armed Forces of Malta (AFM), and are used as their training grounds.